Friday, January 29, 2010

On With the Grub!

While I'm home, I'm working on two main projects.

Project One: Integrate mindfulness into every moment of my life.

Project Two: Feed my mother good vegan food.

Both are large and both require a lot of my attention. In fact, Project One requires all of my attention, but we'll revisit that one at a later date. Project Two is something that I'm very blessed to be spearheading. The seeds of this tree of change took root when my mother visited me in Beijing; I cooked her 7 days of beautiful vegan fare, sparing no amount of love or skill. She was so pleased that, upon hearing of my return home, she requested that I take her meals out of my brother's meat covered hands and do for her again what i did in Beijing.

I am now lucky enough to be cooking all of my mother's meals, all vegan, and all gluten free. This is something that I've wanted to do for years, something I thought I'd have to haggle my way into if i was going to get it at all- but low and behold, patience is, if not a virtue, at least fruitful. I'm making all my mother's meals, filling them with love and wholesome nutrition. And I couldn't be happier about doing it.

Below is a menu of the last 6 or so days, to give you an idea of the how things are starting out. In fact, this is a list of everything I've made for her since we've started this venture. Everything listed is homemade by the hands and heart of yours truly, using only fresh/whole ingredients (all veg/fruit from the farmers market, grains/pulses from Whole Foods)

Thursday (today):
Breakie: Yogurt w/ ground flax/pumpkin seeds, walnuts, cranberries
Lunch: Split Pea Soup, Chickpea/avocado/tomato salad
Snack: Fiberful fruit bar from Trader Joe's, Dark Chocolate
Dinner: Oven Baked Polenta, Curried Split Pea Soup, Chard&Kale Salad w/ Peanut Dressing

Wednesday:
Breakie: Yogurt w/ ground flax/pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pear pieces
Lunch: Chickpea Salad/Curried Potatoes/Salad
Snack: Trail mix, two tangerines from the backyard
Dinner: Split Pea Soup w/ Fresh Cornbread, Shredded Beet/Sesame Salad

Tuesday:
Breakie: Asian Pear, Banana, Dried Cranberries, Walnuts
Snack: Salad w/ walnuts, cranberries, butter lettuce, lemon/EVOO dressing
Lunch: Barley Veg Soup/Salad
Dinner: Chickpea Patties w/ Curried Potatoes and Broccoli


Monday:
Breakie: Yogurt
Snack: Almonds, Cranberries, Dried Apricots
Lunch: Barley Squash Cranberry Almond Risotto
Snack: Avocado/Tomato/Chickpea Salad
Dinner: Fresh Baked Cornbread with Barley Veg Soup


Sunday:
Breakie: Miso/Avocado Rice Noodles
Lunch: Black Beans w/ Brown Rice and Shredded Beet Salad
Snack: Trail Mix
Dinner: Squash Barley Risotto (w/cranberries, celery, almonds)


Saturday:
Breakie: Pancakes! Blueberry Pancakes! Bananas, Mangos, orange juice.
Lunch: Something I've forgotten. Salad?
Dinner: Bowl of Raspberry Yogurt*, chopped bananas, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, cranberries, walnuts.

Some days we've had desserts of Cinnamin Squash Puree or Honeyed Tangerine, but I can't remember which days.

love&light
jessie, the live in health lady.

No comments: