Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dim Sum Girl, you rule my world.

It's raining a lot in Beijing lately.
A lot as in, everyday.

Blogging is never quite as enticing as when I really should be doing other things. Like stretching. Or writing my reflection paper. Or my other reflection paper, the one in Chinese. Or my research paper. Or making up a lesson plan for next week's classes. Or, you know, doing anything more productive than filling space with words on this big distraction of a site.

Oh well. A few posts ago when i was talking briefly about Beijing's nightlife, Mike Fury asked about the hiphop in the city. It's like he's a mind reader or something, because the next addition of Jessie Describes Beijing was going to be on the hiphop scene here. And it was going to be short, because theres not much of one.


So far I've been to two separate horrendously mainstream clubs where i was forced to watch the mindless drones prance to 'Superman that Hoe' (or whatever the hell that song is called) from over the rim of my screwdriver. It made me really sad to see that the same drivel that passes for rap in America is what passes for rap in China. At least in China the excuse exists that not everyone can understand enough english to grasp what's being laid over the generic factory farmed beats. Needless to say, I haven't returned to either of club. We all know how poorly I fair in straight clubs, let alone straight clubs that insist on spinning the misogynistic and tactless theme songs of my generation. Sigh.


Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic, for not all hope is lost. I have heard tell of one club that has a hiphop night every last Saturday worth going to, but I've yet to attend. As we recall, last Saturday I was busy prancing in the rain next to the yellow sea. Hiphop culture has been scarce, but I'm hoping to flesh it out soon (haha, i said 'flesh'). When I went down south (hahahah, i said 'went down south') for that teaching job I did come across some bboys doing a show in the street, so there are glimmers of hope. My next goal is to find some Chinese hiphop, and the goal after that is good chinese hiphop. I mean, as much as i love The Notorious MSG (yo, this song goes out to all you sexy girls...who push the dim sum cart all over the world...), i'd like to get my hands on something a little...well, a little more Beijing.

As I'm writing this I turned on Dim Sum Girl from the link above and, well, it just made my night. Since I'm going for a run in the morning to counteract the effects of a week and half of straight partying (as opposed to, you know, gay partying) on my girlish figure, I'm going to turn in early tonight.

Peace!
jessie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that your whole blog is thoroughly enjoyable to read... you are sooo having a great time and obviously learning a lot too.

Love you,
Karen

jenny aj said...

it's so nice to know you're thinking of me even when i'm not there.

:D