Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Apostasy: Complete!

I'm a bad, bad blog owner. In my proverbial blog related stocking, there is nothing but coal. Being an environmentalist, I really should take more steps to prevent that from happening.

Maybe I can put together a movement to switch santa from coal to tiny solar panels. Or maybe I can just blog more and stop neglecting all of you out there in readership land.

Whats the title all about? Well, I've left my job. No more five star hotels, no more weekly jet setting all over China. No more 18 hour stints on movie sets, no more ganbei with government leaders, no more languishing in private restaurant rooms through the cigarette smoke of movie directors. No more sacrificing pretty much everything i believe in to work for a machine that I utterly loathe, in the name of saving for tomorrow. I've got to say, I'm glad to be out of the game. Now I can finally back up my constant assertion that I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and so-so. I can also back up my idea that sacrificing today for tomorrow is not the road for me. Things are as i suspected- I need little to make me happy, but the simple needs I do have are imperative. Things like reliable time for myself. Things like feeling as though the work that I do helps someone, makes a difference in this huge, complex, indifferent world. I'll figure out how to get where I want to go, but I'm going to make sure I get there doing something I enjoy and believe in. It might take longer, but I'm cool with that. Unflinching dedication to enjoying every part of my life, undying devotion to only doing things I believe in.

Oh, the writings of an idealist.

How's unemployment treating me? I'm taking time to really get back to focusing on myself and my health. And I'm feeling fabulous. It's just too bad that I don't have the money or time to get over here and regale you all with tales and updates.

In a little more general, Beijing related news, spring is palpably here. It was a little hard listening to all of the spring festival business when I still had to wrap myself in 4 layers of wool and a plastic sheet just to leave the house. But now, now it is a different story. Now, as previously mentioned, I can lounge on my rooftop patio and read a book in the sun. Now I can do things in the kitchen without worrying that, because my hands are numb with cold, I'm accidentally going to chop a fingertip in my salad without noticing. Now I can hold underwear dance parties in the courtyard. Can you tell how excited I am about these underwear dance parties?

How is everyone out there?

Love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we are all missing you my little yellow girl